Dalton did tons upon tons of library research.He looked at almost every scientist or philosopher in history who had any conception of atoms whatsoever. After he completed his research, he compiled it into what we call Dalton's Theory. His theory contained 6 parts:
- matter is composed of extremely small particles called atoms
- atoms are indivisible and indestructable
- atoms of a given element are identical in size, mass, and chemical properties
- atoms of specific elements are different thatn those of other elements
- in a chemical reaction, atoms separate, combine and/or rearrange
Significance of Contribution
We still use quite a bit of Dalton's theory today in chemistry.
He was a quaker.